Rockets coach Rick Adelman met with us after practice on Tuesday, touching on a few different topics:
- Said the camp so far has been very competitive, though he wouldn’t really say anyone has stuck out as far as being impressive. When asked, he did say Courtney Lee has looked good and played very well so far in camp.
- Though Lee has been getting some attention for being able to play some point guard, Adelman intimated that you wouldn’t see that often, saying Courtney could “get by for short times” at the position.
- Had some solid praise for Ish Smith, who he called a “true point guard” and the “best passer on the team” among the guards. Adelman added that Smith’s outside shot needs work, but that he defends well and “gets to the middle all the time.”
- Thought Jordan Hill played “better” today and Alexander Johnson (“AJ”) has played well, though they are playing the center spot out of necessity with Brad Miller out with an ankle injury and Yao Ming only able to play 12 minutes of scrimmage action. He said Johnson “has the skills to play in this league”.
- Said he would “like not to” play Chuck Hayes at center this year, which is something he had no choice but to do quite often last year.